Root Canal Therapy – Annapolis, MD
Restore Your Healthy and Pain-Free Smile
Most people associate root canal therapy with physical and emotional discomfort. However, this bad reputation is far from the truth! Root canal therapy is designed to quickly relieve pain and save teeth from being extracted. At Chambers Family Dentistry, your Annapolis dentist Dr. Chambers, Dr. Jimenez, or Dr. Shaya can use this tooth-saving procedure to stop infection or damage in its tracks and restore your healthy and pain-free smile! If you’re experiencing dental pain or are unsure if you need root canal therapy from our Annapolis, MD dentist, don’t hesitate to give us a call right away.
Why Choose Chambers Family Dentistry for Root Canal Therapy?
- Options for Relieving Anxiety with Sedation Dentistry
- Same-Day Emergency Visits for Patients in Pain
- Efficient, Personalized Approach to Dentistry
What Is Root Canal Therapy?
Root canal therapy is a dental procedure used to treat teeth affected by infection, decay, or damage in the dental pulp and tooth nerve. While many people worry that this treatment is painful, previous patients are happy to report that getting root canal therapy is no more uncomfortable than getting a large filling. This is thanks to our state-of-the-art technology, trusted numbing medications, and our highly experienced dental team.
Once your mouth has been numbed and you’re completely comfortable, we’ll start your treatment by making a small access hole in your afflicted tooth. From there, we’ll remove the infected or damaged portions of your dental pulp and nerve. Then, we’ll sanitize the inside of your tooth and fill it with a rubbery biocompatible substance. Afterward, we’ll usually cap the tooth with a beautiful custom-made dental crown to improve its strength and function while protecting it from future problems.
Why You Might Need Root Canal Therapy
The visible portion of your tooth is covered in a material called enamel. This protective outer shell shields the more sensitive and vulnerable layers underneath called the tooth’s pulp and nerve. While tooth enamel is the strongest material in the human body, it isn’t indestructible. It may become cracked by a blow to the face or by biting down on a hard object. Leaving cavities untreated will also slowly burn through your enamel. Eventually, this exposes the inside of your tooth to damage and bacteria, and if left untreated, can cause tooth loss and serious health complications.
That’s why it’s important to see us right away if you’re experiencing dental pain. Not every toothache means that you need root canal therapy, but the only way to know for sure is to see us. A few of the most common warning signs that you may need root canal therapy include:
- Severe or worsening toothache
- Sharp pain when biting down
- Tooth sensitivity to hot or cold temperatures
- Darkening or discoloration of the painful tooth
- Swollen, painful gums or a small, pimple-like bump on the gums
Benefits of Getting Root Canal Therapy
Quickly relieving your dental pain and stopping the potentially serious damage or infection underneath are the most important benefits of root canal therapy. However, this treatment also offers benefits like:
- Preventing harmful bacteria from spreading throughout your mouth and body.
- Leaving your tooth functional and beautiful again with a custom dental crown.
- Saving damaged teeth from extraction and the complications of tooth loss.
- Preserving as much natural tooth structure as possible, which is good for your jawbone.
- Letting you get back to eating, speaking, and enjoying daily life without dental pain.