Dental Checkups & Teeth Cleanings – Annapolis, MD
Preventive Care Is Key to a Healthy Smile!
Have you ever heard the saying, “An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure?” This common phrase, credited to Benjamin Franklin, holds especially true when it comes to your oral health. Has it been a while since your last dental exam? At Chambers Family Dentistry, we are always happy to welcome both returning and new patients, regardless of how much time has passed since their last dental checkup. Here is what you can expect when you schedule routine dental checkups and teeth cleanings at our Annapolis, MD dental office.
Why Choose Chambers Family Dentistry for Dental Checkups & Teeth Cleanings?
- Advanced Cavity Detection System
- See What We See with Our Intraoral Camera
- We Welcome Patients of All Ages
What Happens During Your Dental Cleaning?
During dental cleanings at Chambers Family Dentistry, one of our experienced dental hygienists will expertly remove harmful plaque and tartar from your teeth. If allowed to build up inside your mouth, the bacteria in plaque and tartar can lead to tooth decay and other oral diseases.
Using special tools, we will carefully scrape each tooth to remove any harmful buildup. This process is called scaling. Next, we will clean your teeth with a prophylaxis paste, which is a grittier form of toothpaste used by dental professionals. Finally, we gently polish your pearly whites.
Not only do dental cleanings help prevent cavities, gum disease, and other oral health issues, but they will also leave your mouth feeling delightfully refreshed!
What Happens During Your Dental Checkup?
Thorough dental checkups are critical to identifying oral health issues early on in order to treat them before they worsen and have a serious negative impact on your health. After your teeth are cleaned, we will perform a visual and manual exam of your teeth, gums, and the tissues inside your mouth.
Our dentists will use special tools, including a small, angled mirror and dental probe to carefully examine your mouth for signs of:
- Tooth decay
- Gum disease
- Broken or damaged teeth or dental restorations
- Discoloration inside your mouth
In addition, we will check for early signs of serious oral conditions, such as oral cancer.
If it has been over six months or a year since your last dental checkup, we will also take X-rays of your teeth. X-rays allow our dentists to detect small cavities and other emerging oral health problems that may be invisible to the naked eye.
Importance of Dental Checkups & Teeth Cleanings
Each year, millions of Americans skip routine dental visits for a variety of reasons. However, even if you brush diligently twice a day and floss daily at home, regular dental checkups and cleanings are critical to maintaining a healthy smile. Here are three reasons why:
- #1: Reduce Risk of Tooth Decay – Once plaque on your teeth hardens into tartar, it is impossible to remove without a professional cleaning from a dentist or dental hygienist. If tartar is not removed, it leads to tooth decay.
- #2: Prevent Gum Disease – The early signs of gum disease can be subtle and difficult to detect on your own, but not for a dentist in Annapolis.
- #3: Detect Oral Cancer Early On – Each routine dental exam includes an oral cancer screening. Catching the potentially fatal disease early on is critical to successfully overcoming it.
Remember, an “ounce of prevention” can help you maintain a healthy smile for many years to come. To schedule your next dental checkup and cleaning at Chambers Family Dentistry, give us a call today!